Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Wilted Kale Salad and Carrot Linguine

This is going to be a quick post at a the request of a friend and fellow raw foodist.  These recipes were inspired by Russell James, the Raw Chef.  Russell's recipes really helped me get used to the textures and flavours of working with raw food and he has been a great inspiration.

One of our first dinners eating raw...

WILTED KALE SALAD WITH AVOCADO DRESSING
-I really like the idea of using kale on a regular basis.  It's one of those nutrient full veggies that I have grown to love, packed with iron, and vitamins A, C, and K.  Using avocado is a great alternative to using oil-based dressings and really gives it a nice, creamy texture while giving you a dose of the all important omega-3 fats.  This salad is an example of eating healing food daily as your main source for preventative health care.

Forgive the picture!  This was before I was photo-cataloguing the food.
Kale Salad
1 head of kale, diced (remember, the kale will condense quickly, so don't be shy to fill the bowl)
2 t. salt
1 tomato, diced
1/2 c. sesame seeds or soaked sunflower seeds (optional: for added texture)
1 medium handful of cilantro, chopped
- Massage salt into kale until it reaches desired wilted texture, set aside (If you want low sodium, rinse and dry in a salad spinner)

Avocado Dressing
1 avocado
1 chipotle pepper (soaked 2 hours)
1 t. garlic, minced
1 green onion
1 T. grape seed oil
2 dates, coarsely chopped (1 T. raw honey can be used to substitute)
2 t. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
coconut water if needed for desired texture (filtered water can be used as well)
-Mix in food processor until creamy

-Cover kale with avocado dressing.
-Add tomato, sesame seeds, and cilantro and toss lightly

Serves 2-3

CARROT LINGUINE WITH NUT-ZZARELLA CHEESE
-I have to admit that I love peeled carrots!  I use them in my sushi and they make great noodles.  I also enjoy nut cheeses, but don't like a heavy nut tummy, and like to spread my nut intake out through the day.  I feel this recipe has a moderate amount to give the great fat benefits, without making me feel nuts.  (Sorry!  I had to do it!)

Carrot Linguine 
3 carrots, peeled
1/4 T. salt
8 minced basil leaves
-Massage carrots with salt, and set aside (for added zing to your noodles, mix with 1 t. lemon juice)

This is a different dish, but shows peeled carrots tossed with spinach.
Nut-zzarella Cheese  
1/2 c. cashew butter
1/2 T. Bragg's Liquid Aminos
2 t. lemon juice, fresh squeezed
1/8 c. coconut water, for desired texture (filtered water can be used as well)
1/2 T nutritional yeast (optional, but increases nutrition and adds extra cheesy texture)
-Mix all ingredients except for water in a small bowl using a fork. (note: you can use whole, soaked cashews instead and combine all ingredients in a food processor, but it's a fairly small amount, so I prefer this method)
-Slowly add coconut water until cheese sauce reaches desired consistency.  You want it just thick enough to lightly coat carrot linguine.

-Rinse off carrot linguine and dry in a salad spinner.  It should have more of an al dente noodle feel.
-Cover carrots in nut-zzarella cheese.
-Lightly toss in basil leaves for the final flavour punch

Serves 2-3


I served these dishes with a side of tart honey crisp apples for a full fiber feeding and added crunch. Happy dining everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Both of these recipes look delicious. I've never had kale in much of anything other than soup, but I love avocado so I think I'll give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete